Due to precautions being implemented by employers and employees related to physical proximity associated with COVID-19, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on March 20, 2020 that it will exercise discretion to defer the physical presence requirements associated with Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I–9) under Section 274A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
In order to provide support to the NC State Campus community the temporary I–9 process will be handled by Maria Muresan and the Onboarding Center team.
Below are the guidelines we are implementing immediately at NC State for temporary remote processing of all I–9 forms:
- Section 1 and Section 2 must be completed within the required timelines. Section 1 must be completed on or before first day of employment; Section 2 must be completed within three business days after hire.
- All new employees needing assistance with Section 2 should be directed to contact the I–9 team at email@example.com or the Onboarding team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Maria and the Onboarding team will set up a virtual I–9 appointment with the employee, and the employee will be required to show the required documents by video so that they can be virtually inspected by Maria or the Onboarding team for compliance and completion of Section 2.
- Maria and the Onboarding team will enter a special case note in the I–9 Guardian system regarding this special process. Due to the global impact of COVID-19 and U.S. national emergency, Section 2 was completed remotely. Subject line: COVID-19.
- Maria and the Onboarding Team will keep a list of all remote Section 2 virtual meetings for later follow-up.
- After the termination of this national public health emergency, Maria and the Onboarding team must meet with each employee to physically inspect the documents, and add a case note Documents physically examined with the date of inspection.
- I–9 unit will continue to complete all Section 3s for all rehires eligible for Section 3 completion.
The I–9 unit and the Onboarding Center are happy to help our campus stay compliant with I–9 responsibilities during this pandemic by temporarily taking over completion of Section 2 for all new hires until this crisis has subsided and in-person completion of Section 2 by our many I–9 Users is possible again.