Mileage and Vehicles


  • Roundtrip to/from RDU cannot exceed 30 miles regardless of whether you leave from work or home.
  •  University Employees traveling on business, whether in or out of state shall
    • Maximize the utilization of university-owned vehicles
    • Make use of the State term contracts for short-term rentals – These contracts MUST be used for all rental cars.
    • Reimburse for use of personal vehicle on a limited basis

The preference is for University employees to use a state vehicle when traveling for business.  If a personal vehicle is used, the employee will be reimbursed for mileage at the rate of 53.5 cents per mile for 100 miles X the number of days the employee will be in travel status.  The remaining reimbursement will be at 17 cents per mile.


You are traveling over night to a conference that is 250 miles away.  You can be reimbursed at the rate of 53.5 cents per mile for 200 (100 miles X 2 days of travel) and at 17 cents per mile for the remaining 50 miles.

You are attending a conference for three days (and two nights) at a location that is 250 miles away.  You will be reimbursed for the full 250 miles at 53.5 cents per mile.

  • To be eligible for mileage reimbursement your destination must be at least 10 miles from the University (20 miles roundtrip).
  • If you prefer to use your personal vehicle instead of a State vehicle when traveling on State business  be aware that in case of an accident the insurance you carry on your personal car would be considered the primary carrier for the claim.  You would need to prove you were on State business to be able to file for any additional coverage on the State of NC vehicle insurance plan.
  • When renting a vehicle one of the State contracted rental companies must be used and Economy or Midsize are the standard allowable sizes.  If you are traveling with a large group and need to rent a larger vehicle you must obtain department head approval in writing. This can be done via the Travel Authorization.  For assistance contact our DASA Business Office.
  • If renting a vechile that costs over $40,000 or a truck that costs over $60,000 additional insurance will need to be purchased through the University’s Insurance and Risk Management department.  To request additional insurance, prior to renting the vehicle, you will need to submit a completed Rental Vehicle Certificate Insurance Request form.

Helpful Links

NCSU Fleet Services

Motor Pool Vehicles